People were able to tour through both levels of the 95,000 square foot addition with key rooms and equipment highlighted along the way.
“This is our chance to show off the hospital in a way that people have never seen before,” said Alan Greig, Vice President of Support Services.
“It’s not every day the public gets to see our leading-edge technology and experience everything we have to offer on a voluntary basis, without being a patient.”
The new addition houses the new Emergency Department, Diagnostic Imaging Centre and Surgical Suites.
- 95,000 square feet of Contemporary Health Care Space designed to improve the Patient Experience
- 6 new state-of-the-art Operating Rooms with 600 square feet orthopedic surgery theatres and leading edge Digital Urology Table
- Spacious, modernized Emergency Department with improved volume capacity to reduce wait times
- Automatic “Wave-to-Open” Doors– significantly improving infection control
- High Tech Diagnostic Centre of Excellence
- MRI: GE Optima MR450W utilizing nuclear magnetic resonance to provide superior diagnostic imaging
- CT Scanner: GE Discovery CT 750 HD generating high quality tomography images
- State-of-the-Art Sterilization Processing Department to ensure infection control
- Redesigned, convenient Parking with enhanced outdoor lighting and security system
- Local Engagement: Numerous local suppliers of construction materials and over 100,000 local hours of employment
The $113 million project was designed by architect Diego Morettin of STANTEC Architecture Ltd., andPomerleau was the general contractor.
Earlier this year, the Cornwall Community Hospital Foundation announced the successful completion of their $3.5 million fundraising campaign that saw the purchase of the MRI and Digitial Uruology table.
“The open house offers an opportunity to open our doors and show the community what a spectacle the design of the new building is. A great deal of organization and preparation went into the addition and now it’s time for everyone to enjoy the payoff of all their hard work,” said Kathy Bisson, Director, Logistics and Equipment Planning.
A commemorative magazine with information about the wing was published and made available to all visitors.
“The build has been a community project since 2009, and we are proud to deliver on our promise of providing an exceptional healthcare facility to the people of Cornwall and S.D. & G.,” added Jeanette Despatie, Chief Executive Officer.
About the Cornwall Community Hospital
The Cornwall Community Hospital is an acute care hospital with approximately 170 beds, and offering a full range of patient and ambulatory care services. In a typical year, the Hospital deals with over 52,000 visits to the emergency department, performs 9,000 surgeries and conducts over 200,000 diagnostic/therapeutic exams. The hospital is also a teaching hospital and is associated with the University of Ottawa medical program.
More information on the hospital and the redevelopment project can be found at www.CornwallHospital.ca.