Pets are like family members, and just like any other family member, they need care and attention. When it comes to taking care of your pet, there are a few things you should avoid giving them. Here are six treats your dog should absolutely avoid.
Chocolate is one of the most common things that people think of when it comes to giving their dog a treat. And while a small amount of chocolate may not hurt your dog, it is best to avoid giving them any at all. Chocolate contains a substance called theobromine, which can be toxic to dogs. Even just a small amount of chocolate can make your dog sick, so it’s best to play it safe and avoid giving them any at all. This is especially true for Yorkies, in the words of the folks behind the YYorkie website, which is dedicated to Yorkshire terrier care. Chocolate is so dangerous to dogs because it contains a substance called theobromine, which can be toxic to them. Theobromine is a stimulant that can cause vomiting, diarrhea, panting, increased heart rate, and even seizures in dogs. It takes longer for dogs to metabolize theobromine than it does for humans, which is why it can be so dangerous for them. So if you’re looking for a treat to give your dog, chocolate is not the way to go.
2. Grapes and raisins
Grapes and raisins are commonly used as snacks or ingredients in various dishes, but did you know that they can be toxic to dogs? While the exact reason why is still unknown, grapes and raisins have been known to cause kidney failure in dogs. If your dog happens to eat grapes or raisins, it is important to monitor them closely and seek medical attention if they show any signs of illness, such as vomiting, diarrhea, or lethargy. There is no certain answer as to why grapes and raisins are dangerous to dogs. It is believed that the toxicity is caused by a compound found in grapes and raisins, but the exact compound has not been identified. Whatever the cause, grapes, and raisins have been known to cause nausea in dogs, so it is best to avoid giving them to your pet. Sometimes, even a small amount can be dangerous, so it is important to be on the side of caution.
3. Onions and garlic
Onions and garlic are commonly used in cooking to add flavor, but they can be dangerous to dogs. Both onions and garlic contain a compound called thiosulfate, which can be toxic to dogs. This compound can cause damage to a dog’s red blood cells, leading to anemia. Dogs can be exposed to thiosulfate through an onion or garlic powder, raw onions or garlic, or even eating foods that contain onions or garlic. If your dog happens to eat onions or garlic, it is important to monitor them closely and seek medical attention if they show any signs of illness, such as vomiting, diarrhea, or lethargy. While a small amount of onion or garlic is not likely to be fatal, it can still make your dog sick, so it is best to avoid giving them to your pet.
Xylitol is a sugar alcohol that is commonly used as a sweetener in various food and household products. It is also found in some types of gum and candy. While xylitol is safe for humans, it can be toxic to dogs. Xylitol can cause a rapid drop in blood sugar levels in dogs, which can lead to weakness, loss of coordination, and even seizures. It can also cause liver damage. If your dog ingests a product that contains xylitol, it is important to seek medical attention immediately. Symptoms of xylitol poisoning in dogs include vomiting, lethargy, and weakness. In severe cases, xylitol poisoning can lead to death. This is why it is so important to avoid giving your dog any products that contain xylitol. Also, be sure to keep any products that contain xylitol out of reach of your dog.
Avocados are healthy food for humans, but they can be dangerous to dogs. The main concern with avocados is the pit. The pit can cause obstruction in the gastrointestinal tract, and it can also be a choking hazard. The avocado skin and leaves also contain a compound called persin, which can be toxic to dogs. Persin can cause vomiting and diarrhea in dogs. If your dog ingests avocado, it is important to monitor them closely and seek medical attention if they show any signs of illness. While the flesh of the avocado is not likely to be harmful, it is best to avoid giving it to your pet to be on the safe side. If they do eat avocado, make sure to remove the pit and any other potentially dangerous parts before giving it to them.
Dairy products are a common part of many people’s diets, but they can be dangerous to dogs. Dogs are lactose intolerant, which means that they cannot digest lactose properly. When dogs eat dairy products, it can cause vomiting, diarrhea, and other gastrointestinal problems. In some cases, it can even lead to weight gain and pancreatitis. If your dog ingests dairy, it is important to monitor them closely and seek medical attention if they show any signs of illness. While some dogs may be able to handle small amounts of dairy without any issues, it is best to avoid giving it to them to be on the safe side. Many types of dog food do not contain dairy, so you can still give your dogs a healthy diet without having to worry about this potential issue.
These are just a few of the many things that you should avoid giving your dog. While some of these items may not be harmful to all dogs, it is best to be on the safe side and avoid giving them to your pet. If you are ever unsure about whether something is safe for your dog, it is always best to consult with a veterinarian before giving it to them. Good luck!
Get notified of all our new news by ringing the bell at the bottom right corner!
The Seeker Newspaper is located at 327 Second Street E., Cornwall, ON K6H 1Y8 -- All rights reserved The Seeker does not accept responsibility for errors, misprints or inaccuracies published within. The opinions and statements of our columnists are not to be presumed as the statements and opinions of The Seeker, and should not substitute professional or medical advice.
ISSN 2562-1750 (Print) ISSN 2562-1769 (Online)