The holiday season is full of fun, festive cheer; people laughing and singing, shopping and wrapping, eating and drinking. But what happens if you’re going through a hard breakup and all you want to do is curl into a ball and wake up when the festivities are over? What happens when every Christmas song blaring at the mall reminds you of your ex and makes you wish you had never broken up at all? What happens if you’ve been single all along and just hate seeing mushy couples out and about flaunting their cheery love.
Oh yes, the happy holiday season sure isn’t so joyful when you’re single and missing someone you love, while your broken heart just refuses to heal. As much as it hurts and as hard as it is to crack a smile when you feel like garbage, you need to push through and try to find a glimmer of hope. You need to change your mindset and stop letting this heartbreak control you. Christmas comes once a year and when you’re over this breakup next summer you’ll wish you wouldn’t have let your emotions completely control you over the holidays and make you miss out on such a happy time.
Instead of thinking about all the stuff you’ll be missing out on, think of the benefits you’ll get out of being single this year:
- You’ll spend less money on gifts. Without a significant other you’ll have money left over in the bank this year. Treat yourself to a spa day or just spoil those close to you who will always have your heart, like your family and close friends.
- You won’t have to split your time. Being single during the holidays means you only have to manage one schedule. Plans with only your family will essentially lead to more free time to gather with people you like, and less time trying to impress his grandmother who never really liked you anyway.
- Less travelling. Since you won’t need to go visit his Great Aunt Bertha is Timbucktoo the day after you spent four hours to go see your own family, you will be able to spend the holidays in your pajamas, curled up by the fire. Unless of course you want to party instead.
- Party, party, party. Being single around the holidays is fun as hell! You can go out with your friends and have an awesome, single time and get a little bit wild and no one will judge you because they know you’re just blowing off steam. Holidays hook ups are fun too, especially on New Year’s Eve. Kiss a stranger at midnight and then be on your way. Voila, you are a modern day Cinderella!
- You’ll be ready for the best year yet. Ringing in the New Year as a singleton should give you a great kick in the ass. 2014 is YOUR year and being single is a blessing in disguise. Go into it with a positive outlook and make next year the best one yet. Do things you’ve been meaning to do and put yourself first for once.
So, when you hear those Christmas carols, stop getting down and hating yourself for being single. Turn that frown upside down and know that being single around the holidays really ain’t so bad. It’s up to you to make the most of it and no one likes a mopey person, so get your hottest party dress on and fake it til you make it. The happier you start acting, the happier you will feel and then you will never regret letting a breakup ruin your spirit!
Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays,
The Love Hawk
Shannon loves love. She has a passion for people and understanding the little things that make everyone unique and similar, all at the same time. She has degrees in Communication Studies, Psychology, and Broadcast Journalism but it’s the school of life that taught Shannon most of what she knows about love and relationships.