The Counties, Ontario – On March 6, 2014, the United Counties of Stormont, Dundas and Glengarry (SDG) celebrated its first anniversary of the Economic Development and Communications Division. It has been a year not only to celebrate expanding economic opportunity throughout Stormont, Dundas and Glengarry, but also to look forward to the upcoming year and the Municipal Readiness Plan. The morning started off with Tim Simpson, Chief Administration Officer (CAO), welcoming the invited guests and included highlights and 2014 priorities by Terry Besner, Economic Development and Communication Officer (EDCO).
Highlights from 2013 included:
- Relationship building with key partners
- Economic Development Officers’ Working Group with local Municipalities
- Implementation Plan: action steps identified, measurable progress and tangible results delivered
- Business visitation per local municipality
- Newly created reports: Lead Handling Protocol Document, Commercial and Industrial Property Sheets
- Communications Strategy
- Toolkit completed Summer 2013
- Signage initiatives being worked on
- County Council approved October 2013
- First 2013 SDG Summit
- October 25th , South Nation Conservation Office in Finch
- Excellent participation from each SDG municipality
Economic Development Priorities for 2014:
- Economic Development Strategy
- Bio/Ag Study Refresh
- Business Retention and Expansion (BR&E): continue visitation with businesses, update business directory repository
- Shift 10%, shop local initiative
- Ontario East sector work…
We are pleased to announce that SDG has been awarded $15,000 to complete a Bio-Processing Eco-Industrial Alliance (Bio-Ag) implementation plan. This implementation plan will provide an assessment of the Bio-Ag supply chain linkages within Stormont, Dundas and Glengarry. “Creating additional opportunities to utilize waste and by-products is an excellent approach to enhance the local value chain” stated Terry Besner, EDCO. “The resulting economic payback of the plan would be substantial” added Tim Simpson, CAO.
The first year has set the stage to welcome investment and we look forward to future success!