AKRON, Ohio, Jan. 25, 2015 – Goodyear has recognized the charitable community involvement of the Benson Group, of Cornwall, Ontario, Canada, with its 2015 Put More Good On The Road Award, presented during the Goodyear Dealer Conference at the Gaylord Texan Resort & Convention Center in Grapevine, Texas.
In receiving the recognition, owner Marty Benson collected a crystal plaque and a check for $10,000 to be presented to the charity of his choice – the Monsignor Rudy Villeneuve Foundation, which provides annual scholarships for students to pursue post-secondary education.
Benson Group employs more than 1,600 people across Ontario and Quebec. The family-operated company has been in business since 1953 and operates more than 100 locations. It includes Benson Auto Service, Benson Auto Parts, Benson Tire, Beverly Tire & Auto, Jiffy Auto Service and Auto-Pneu Paco.
The company has identified a number of ways to improve the strength of its community. Some of the charitable activities in which Benson Group participates include these:
- The founding of the Community Action Group of Cornwall, promoting prosperity, affordable taxes for all, and a healthy environment since 2008.
- The founding of the Joint Vision-Quest for a University for Cornwall, Akwesasne and the United Counties.
- Since 2002, the annual sponsorship of the Benson Charity Golf Classic, which raises funds through golf, a dinner, silent auction and entertainment. This event raised $40,000 in 2014, with all proceeds going to high school students who cannot afford post-secondary education.
- Working with the City of Cornwall to develop a state-of-the-art recreation facility with indoor ice rinks, a field house for soccer and track, tennis courts, fitness facilities and multiple-use rooms. This facility is named “The Benson Centre.”
- Sponsorship of barbecue events at local Benson stores to benefit the Cornwall Community Hospital Foundation.
- Establishment of the Benson Automotive Learning Centre at St. Lawrence College.
- Food drives and charity hockey games to support St. Vincent De Paul Society.
Benson Group supports other local charity groups, as well, and encourages its location managers to get involved in community events and support charitable causes as part of their daily responsibilities.
“Just as Goodyear manages numerous support programs that include literacy, environmental, safety, youth, and overall social awareness activities, we also know that many of our Goodyear retailers do the same in their local communities,” said Andy Traicoff, Goodyear’s vice president, consumer operations and customer development.
“In this spirit, we created the Put More Good On The Road program, and we are thrilled to provide this award to the Benson Group, a deserving tire dealership that has a big impact through giving back to the community where it does business.”
The Goodyear Put More Good On The Road project is an annual recognition of Goodyear’s North American tire dealers of all sizes and types, seeking to spotlight those who best represent their profession through strong examples of giving back to their communities and, effectively, by “putting more good on the road.” An independent judging group reviews the nominations for the Put More Good On The Road award.
Goodyear is one of the world’s largest tire companies. It employs approximately 69,000 people and manufactures its products in 50 facilities in 22 countries around the world. Its two Innovation Centers in Akron, Ohio and Colmar-Berg, Luxembourg strive to develop state-of-the-art products and services that set the technology and performance standard for the industry. For more information about Goodyear and its products, go to www.goodyear.com.