Cornwall – Bernadette Clement, Stormont Dundas South Glengarry Liberal candidate today reaffirmed Liberal support for Canada’s Postal system and its workers.
“On June 16th, our leader Justin Trudeau introduced a plan to restore openness and transparency to government. The plan is called Real Change,” said Ms. Clement,
“Real Change begins with issues that affect us all at home, within our riding. That is why I endorse the Liberal commitment to stopping the Harper government from doing away with door to door mail service in Canada and I endorse the Liberal commitment to protecting rural mail delivery and service.”
“The Canadian Union of Postal Workers and others have launched a campaign to make Canadians aware of the Conservative government plans to cut postal services. We want to work with postal officials to continue to make postal service the best that it can be and help protect local jobs and existing services,” said Ms. Clement.
The Liberal commitment to postal service is just one of several steps to restore openness and transparency to government. The Liberal plan will also modernize the way government works by:
- implementing measures such as requiring that government data and information is truly accessible
- giving Canadians a voice in Ottawa by allowing more independence for Members of Parliament and government watchdogs
- ending party politics in the Senate; ensuring open and fair elections by moving forward with Electoral Reform
- strengthening Elections Canada and banning partisan government advertising
- making evidence-based decisions on programs and policies
- providing better and more timely services to Canadians with a more inclusive and engaging policy-making process
- including an equal number of women and men in a Liberal Cabinet.
“I’ve attended a number of events since becoming the Liberal candidate in this riding and many of these concerns have been raised directly with me. We are listening and we are proposing Real Change for the benefit of all Canadians,” said Ms. Clement.