City of Cornwall by-law officers have been given the ability to enforce new rules under the Ontario Emergency Management and Civil Protection Act related to physical distancing.
By-law officers will work in collaboration with Cornwall Police Service officers to educate residents and businesses about the importance of public health and social/physical distancing.
On March 28, 2020 the Ontario government issued a new emergency order prohibiting organized public events and social gatherings of more than five people.
Further, health authorities are urging residents to maintain a distance of 2 metres/6 feet from each other.
Effective immediately, by-law officers will proactively monitor and respond to calls related to:
- Gatherings of five or more people in public areas
- People congregating in parks/using park facilities or equipment, including play structures, sports fields/courts/diamonds, benches, skateboard parks, and outdoor gyms
- Restaurants that continue to offer dine-in services
- Non-essential retail businesses continuing to operate
Complaints of individuals or businesses failing to comply with the emergency orders can be reported directly to the Cornwall Police Service by calling 613-932-2110.
For additional information on COVID-19, please contact the following phone numbers:
- 1-888-444-3659: Stop the Spread Business Information Line
- 613-933-6282 ext. 3129: City of Cornwall Community Resource Helpline
- 1-800-267-7120: Eastern Ontario Health Unit