The Province of Ontario is allowing restaurants and bars to temporarily extend outdoor patio spaces to safely accommodate patrons and staff. This action supports hospitality sector workers and businesses impacted by the COVID-19 outbreak.
As a result of a provincial regulation change, licensed establishments may create a patio adjacent to their premise, or increase the size of their patio. This temporary measure will allow the public to safely enjoy service that meets social distancing requirements and other public health guidelines.
While the Alcohol and Gaming Commission of Ontario will not require licenses to apply or pay a fee for these temporary extensions, licensed establishments must ensure they have municipal approval and meet all other applicable requirements. These measures will be in effect until January 1, 2021 at 3 a.m.
Bars and restaurants in the City of Cornwall can apply for the creation or extension of a patio by emailing kdoyle[at]cornwall.ca. To ensure staff can process applications efficiently, please include:
- Address and contact information
- Plan of patio, including number of tables and seats (consider using an aerial image from Google Maps)
- If expansion is proposed, include the intended expansion along with the existing patio,
- Indicate if a structure is being incorporated (for instance, a raised platform),
- Demonstration as to how bar/restaurant will comply with applicable provincial requirements, including physical distancing.
Restaurant and bar owners may also contact Karl Doyle (Senior Planner) at 613-930-2787 ext. 2365.
For more on local business support, please click here.