Moving is a stressful time for many people. It can be difficult to find the right place, and even more challenging to pack up all of your belongings. The last thing that you want to do is moving into a new home where there are problems waiting to happen. This article will discuss some things that you should check before moving in order to avoid any potential issues with your new home!
Things To Check
When moving you want to have a checklist of things you need to do handy. This will keep you on track and organized. You should make sure to do an inspection before you move to make sure everything is in order. Not doing so can cause you major problems later on. Landlords may try to get out of making repairs if issues are found after the agreement is signed.
Some other things you should check before moving include:
- Check for the quality of insulation in your new home by looking at the R-value on furnace and air conditioning units. If you cannot find an R rating, call a heating or cooling service professional to see if they can take a look before moving in.
- Run all water taps both hot and cold for minutes to make sure there are no built-up sediment or water quality issues before moving in.
- Check the age of any major appliances that you will be using and make sure they are running correctly if needed. If there is a problem with an appliance, call for repair service right away to avoid a potential issue later on!
- Get rid of any plants as well as any other items that will need to be watered by someone else.
- If the home has a pool, make sure that it is clear and free of any potentially hazardous materials before opening.
- If you have a dog, make sure that there are no poisonous plants in the new home and call for an exterminator before moving in.
- You should also take time to pack your belongings in order to keep them organized. Make piles for things such as pet items, kitchenware, bathroom products, and electronics. This way you can ensure that everything will be in its place when you move in!
- Ensure there is enough insulation in the attic and basement if you are moving into a home with these areas, or ask for an upgrade before finalizing your move!
The last thing you want to do is moving into a new home where there are problems waiting to happen. You can avoid this by checking for the quality of insulation, running water taps, and looking at appliance age before moving in. It’s also important that you unpack your belongings according to the room they belong to in order to keep them organized. This way you know exactly which items go with what room! Be sure to check all locks on doors as well so no one has easy access when they shouldn’t be allowed inside.