Koala Place provides a safe, neutral, confidential, child-friendly environment where children, youth and their non-offending family members, victims or witnesses of physical abuse, sexual abuse or maltreatment will meet with Police Services, Children’s Aid Society of S.D. & G. and other community partners. It is a place where children and youth complete their forensic interview and can receive services by other community professionals. Several partner organizations, such as Police Services and Children’s Aid Society of S.D. & G., are working together to complete child and youth abuse investigations in a comfortable, private and child-friendly location. They work together in multi-disciplinary teams to create a safe environment for children and youth to disclose their stories, be supported and ensure referrals to community agencies, such as the Children’s Treatment Centre.
The Chair’s annual report and the Executive Director’s annual report were presented at the AGM, in addition to the 2013-2014 Financial Statement and nominations for the 2014-2015 Board of Directors.
It is with regret that we announce Richard Allaire has stepped down as Board Chair. The Board of Directors acknowledged and thanked Richard for all of his dedication and support to bringing the Centre to reality. Richard was presented with a plaque during Koala Place’s Official Opening on May 22nd 2014, which is proudly mounted in the waiting room at the Centre.
Koala Place is pleased to appoint Patrick Finucan as the new Board Chair. Additional elected members for the 2014-2015 fiscal year include:
- Inspector Shawna Spowart, Vice-Chair (Cornwall Community Police Service)
- Claude Legault, Treasurer
- Chief Dan Parkinson, Cornwall Community Police Service
- Ray Houde, Executive Director, Counselling & Support Services of S.D. & G.
- Rachel Daigneault, Executive Director, Children’s Aid Society of S.D. & G.
- Diane Plourde, Executive Director, Victim Services of S.D.G. & A.
- Constable Sherri Cameron, Cornwall Community Police Service
- Inspector Detachment Commander Brendan MacDonald, Ontario Provincial Police
- Chief Jerry Swamp, Akwesasne Mohawk Police Service
- Detective Diane Hume, Ontario Provincial Police
- Carole Cardinal, Assistant Manager, Probation & Parole Services
- Wayne Kyte, Executive Director, Laurencrest Youth Services Inc.
- Father Claude Thibault
During the Annual General Meeting, the Board of Directors recognized Koala Place staff for all of their hard work and dedication: Elyse Lauzon-Alguire (Executive Director), Suzanne Villeneuve-Fitch (Executive Assistant) and Johanne Gauthier (Accounting Clerk).
The Board of Directors and staff look forward to another successful year! The realization of Koala Place would not have been possible without the financial support from the Department of Justice Canada – Victim’s Fund, and other key community partners.
For further information, please visit www.koalaplace.ca