Are you thinking of participating in a rally or demonstration? It’s important to know that this type of event poses a higher risk of getting or spreading COVID-19 infection since it may be difficult to keep your distance from other people, and shouting can project respiratory droplets into the air and onto people.
You may want to consider virtual alternatives to show your support, especially if you or someone in your household is at greater risk for serious illness from COVID-19. If you are sick or have any possible COVID-19 symptoms, it’s important to stay at home and follow public health instructions.
If you choose to participate in a demonstration
Please do the following to protect yourself and others:
- At all times, try to keep a minimum distance of 2 metres (6 ft) from other participants.
- Wear a mask for added protection. Avoid touching your face or the mask.
- Bring hand sanitizer and use it often. (Protective vinyl gloves are also a good idea – you can order them online here.)
- Instead of shouting to express your support, use signs, drums or musical instruments.
Following the demonstration:
- Monitor yourself for COVID-19 symptoms and get tested if needed.
- Avoid contact with those who are at higher risk of severe COVID-19 disease (e.g. older people, those with pre-existing health conditions).
For more information on COVID-19, visit www.eohu.ca/coronavirus.