The Cornwall Seeker is always keeping an ear open for Good News Stories in our community and this is certainly one of them.
Phoenix Mallet is only 6 years old and not only does he have a “Big Heart” but quite the entrepreneurial spirit as well.
I talked to his mother Ashley who told me that “Recently Phoenix came to us asking if he could make a basket full of collars, toys and treats to raise money for the OSPCA. So we gave him $40 and took him to the Dollar Store where he picked out an assortment of pet items and placed them in a basket. For a donation of any value friends and family who were interested would receive a gift for their pets. Phoenix managed to take the $40 and turn it into $160.
A few days ago he proudly sent his donation to the OSPCA here in Cornwall and received a nice letter of thanks.” Ashley said that “this was 100% all his idea… just another testament of his kind hearted soul! I AM BEYOND PROUD OF YOU MY BOY! As parents we must have done something right to have such a thoughtful little boy!”
With only 5 items left in this basket, Phoenix will be making another trip to the Dollar Store to replenish as he will be visiting with members of his dad’s Football Team and other members of the family who want to help him with his donations to his animal friends.
Phoenix joined the “Earth Rangers” when he was 4 years old so even at that age he had a connection with our furry friends. I googled Earth Rangers and this is what I found.
“By signing up to become an Earth Ranger, children, with support from their families, make a commitment to engage in actions that directly contribute to the protection of wildlife. Members can aspire to “level up” as Earth Rangers by completing tangible activities, participating in real-life conservation projects, and engaging with online content. But more than that, the program provides a sense of belonging, optimism and proof that when we all work together, we can make a difference.”
The Earth Rangers App is free to download, and gives your child access to programs and features such as:
- Over 20 fun Missions that make a real and positive impact on the environment like planting trees, battery recycling drives, conserving energy and creating butterfly gardens
- Animal Adoptions that allow you to support real, on the ground conservation projects across Canada
- Virtual badges, leaderboards, and rewards for almost everything you do in the app
- Endless entertainment and inspiration through hours of educational videos and thousands of fascinating articles about animals and the environment
- Easy access to the award-winning Earth Rangers podcast
- Points-based levelling system that allows you to journey through different habitats, unlocking cool animal facts along the way
- Customizable avatars that allow you to create your own virtual identity
- Free membership card and welcome package sent by mail when you complete your membership sign-up
If this is something that you would like your child to join please go to: http://www.earthrangers.org for more info.
Reading this it is no wonder that Phoenix Mallet is such a responsible little man where animals are concerned and I know that when he receives stickers and badges he is super excited.
The Seeker would like to congratulate Phoenix and encourage him to keep up the good work!
If you have a “Good News Story” for us, please email it to: firstname.lastname@example.org with a photo or two and we will be happy to publish it online and in print provided it arrives by our 22nd of the month deadline.