After receiving several complaints about the lack of social distancing and crowd control at some big box store last week-end, the EOHU is implementing stricter measures as of December 19 at 12:01am.
- Ensure that a maximum number of patrons are established and clearly marked for each department and that departments are staffed to ensure that the total number of patrons permitted per department is respected. Overall store capacity limits must be respected
- Signs are posted stating the total number of patrons permitted per department.
- For clarity, high traffic departments in multi-department stores such as grocery and pharmacy departments must have their own capacity limits.
- The following additional measures must be implemented
- Ensure that the flow of patrons is enforced and that patrons congregating together or walking against the directions of the arrows are reminded to abide with the rules.
- Calculate the maximum number of patrons permitted in each department or section based on the square footage available for patrons, i.e. exclude areas occupied by shelves, cash registers, etc.
- Calculate the maximum number of patrons permitted in each department or section based on the availability of staff to control the traffic and ensure that the implemented measures are enforced.
- Control lineups both inside and outside the store to ensure physical distancing of at least 2 meters is maintained and to ensure the total number of patrons in any given department or section is not exceeded because of lined up patrons.