Buying a Prom Dress: The Ultimate Guide
Prom season is looming. The nerves, the excitement, the anticipation. You want to look your best, and you may have questions about where (or how) to search for the perfect dress. Especially if this is your first time in the prom dress market, there are a few things you should remain aware of.
- Try Them All On (First)
- There is no worse feeling in the world than getting ready in the already chaotic hours leading up to prom night, and realizing something doesn’t fit. Waiting until the last minute can complicate any outstanding issues you have with your dress, because it leaves you very little time to correct the problem and save your night and your look. If you order online, always try on all the pieces to your outfit before the day. We also recommend you try on your entire look once, with plenty of time to spare before the actual night: that includes hair, makeup, jewelry, accessories, shoes, dress, shawl, etc.
- Trust Your Instincts
- At the end of the day, you know what you like, and you know what will feel best. Never make a choice that goes against your better judgment, simply because a Pinterest board or a coworker or your sister tells you otherwise. Ultimately, you will be the one in the driver’s seat when it comes time to make a decision. If you like length, look into ball gowns and other long prom dresses. If you like sleeveless, you might want to pursue an off-the-shoulder look.
- Get An Early Start
- Approximately two months before prom night arrives, you should start searching for a dress and accessories, and anything else you will need to complete your look. The more time you give yourself, the better, especially if you need any tailor work or hemming done to an existing piece in order to make it fit you better. Starting early can also prevent your favorite designs or the most popular options from being out of stock and impossible to get your hands on as time inches closer to prom night.
- Do Your Homework
- If you want to really maximize your choice of prom dress and examine all your options, it’s going to take some time and effort. Read/subscribe to fashion magazines, keep an eye out for dresses and styles that you like in movies, social media posts, websites, etc. The more you know about what is out there, the more informed your decision will be.
- Find What Works For You
- Every woman is different, and carries herself uniquely; we are all different shapes, body types, bust and waist sizes. There are short/mini dresses for petite women, mermaid silhouettes for slight frames, ball gowns for those looking for flow and length, different neck designs, etc. Knowing your body, what you like, and what looks best on you, is an important step to finding the right prom dress.
If you follow the above steps and remember to always trust your instincts, you can almost guarantee that the right decision will present itself. Choosing a prom dress can be an utterly enjoyable experience, and can even be shared with loved ones as a way to connect. Above all, have fun and enjoy the ride. You will never know what’s out there until you try it on.