At 4 a.m. on Tuesday, February 2, Cornwall Fire Services responded to an active fire on Montreal Road, which was quickly upgraded to a second alarm.
Firefighters responded and quickly contained the fire, which affected one multi-unit building. Firefighters and worked in collaboration with Cornwall Police Service and Cornwall SDG Paramedic Services. Injuries to residents appear to be a direct result of a missing or malfunctioning smoke alarm.
“Unfortunately, people were hurt today,” said Fire Chief Pierre Voisine. “We would like to take this opportunity to remind Cornwall residents of the importance of smoke alarms.”
Install smoke alarms on every level of the home and outside sleeping areas – it’s the law.
It is against the law, and outright dangerous, to remove batteries or tamper with smoke alarms in any way.
Plan an escape route. Identify at least two ways out of every room. Practice your escape. For more information about home escape planning, please click here.