North America’s various transport companies have made moving one’s goods easier than ever. Whether moving household goods cross-country or even internationally, or moving one’s businesses products, transport companies have greatly simplified the process.
Between 2014 and 2016, the transportation industry has grown steadily. A 2.9% growth was expected in 2019. The rail transportation industry is currently worth $81 billion USD in the United States. This is great news. As the transportation industry continues to expand, meaning increased options for consumers.
Transport companies are the best way to move one’s goods, safely and securely. Do not hesitate to contact one today.
Types of Transportation Options Offered
Transport companies offer a variety of transportation options.
- Full Truckload – Full Truckload (TL) is the most common type of shipment and means that the entire truck is used for one’s goods. This makes shipping quick and easy. TL is available in both short haul and long haul.
- LTL Transportation – Less Than Truckload (LTL) is perfect for shipping goods that take up less space than a typical 48-53 foot trailer.
- Flatbed Transportation –Flatbed transportation is perfect for transporting heavy equipment and construction materials. This can include coils, pipes, steel products, and large commodities. It can also be used for loads that require crane loading.
- Reefer Trucking Services – Unlike dry cargo, which can simply be transported in dry vans, certain loads require a controlled environment. This is done in the form of temperature-controlled trucks. Reefers can be divided into three main categories. Refrigerated trailers, consisting of refrigerators and freezers, are perfect for cargo that needs to stay cold. Heated trucks are used for cargo that needs to be in a warmer environment. Finally, cryogenic reefers, although quite rare, are used for transporting medical and technical equipment.
- Expedited Shipping – Expedited or hot shot shipping can often guarantee same day or next day delivery for time sensitive goods. Expedited shipping moves time sensitive loads nonstop between major North American cities. This is perfect for small packages, parcel deliveries, and overnight service. Many oilrig businesses frequently use this service to receive replacement parts quickly.
- Hazardous Materials Shipping – The shipping of hazardous materials is now possible with specialized trucks. Examples include paints and various chemicals, flammable liquids, corrosives and other oxidizers, and batteries. Ensure that the carrier is HAZMAT-certified.
- Intermodal Shipping –Intermodal shipping combines two modes of freight. This consists of truck and rail for overland shipping or truck and vessel for sea shipping. The process often begin and ends with a truck, with rail or vessel in between. Intermodal shipping lowers fuel costs and is quick and easy.
- Dedicated Shipping – Dedicated shipping is perfect for shippers who require a dedicated fleet on an ongoing basis. This is recommended for those who need to move large volumes of freight, several times per day. Examples include large grocery store chains, large distribution centres, and home improvement retailers.
- Freight Management – Transportations companies offering freight management deal with all aspects of the transportation and logistics process. This includes shipment of dangerous goods, asset-based and third party logistics, temperature controlled transport, intermodal transport, and expedited team driver service. Many companies also offer trans-border TL and LTL, especially between Canada and the United States. Transport companies are skilled in negotiating customs and border inspections.
Choosing a Transport Company
Choosing a transport company does not have to be a complicated process. Many companies now have personal websites that offer handy online forms. Simply, fill out their questionnaire and wait to be contacted by a customer service agent.
In addition, it is important to look at the company’s work force and equipment. If the company does not have enough personnel or the proper equipment, they may cost more in the long run.
The size of one’s load is also important. Some company’s may only offer TL, while some may offer LTL for smaller cargo.
Asking one’s friends, family, and co-workers for recommendations can also help one choose the perfect transport company.
Cost of Transportation Services
The costs of transportation services will vary, depending on the size of the shipment, the type of shipment, and speed of delivery.
Domestic services will also be cheaper than international transport services.
Rate requests on transport company websites are common. Do not hesitate to contact one today. Common questions include originating city, province, or state, destination city, province, or state, product weight, number of skids, number of pieces, dimension of shipment, date of pickup, and required date of delivery.
Choosing a transportation company is now quicker and simpler than ever before. Do not hesitate to contact one of North America’s various companies for a quote today.