1. Tell us a little bit about yourself. How and when did you decide to open this business? My name is Amanda Testa and I am the founder of Lighthouse Drop-in Centre. The centre was founded in December of 2019 by my father and I as we both had a passion for helping people in our community. Working full time in the mental health and addiction field, I started the centre as a way to give back to my community and to show people that there is hope and people who care. Lighthouse is a store front drop-in centre offering free, gently used clothing, shoes, accessories and more to those in need.
2. What is your mission statement ? Our mission is to demonstrate love and foster hope by meeting the basic needs of those in our community.
3. What is unique about your business ? We are a father and daughter team with the same heart and vision to help others. Everything we provide is completely free of charge and donated by generous individuals in the community.
4. How does your business improve or change the community at large ? We target lower-income families who are unable to afford basic necessities.
5. Define success. Success is attaining a dream or goal that empowers others to grow, find meaning, purpose and fulfillment. Bonus question: How has the Covid-19 pandemic affected your business? We temporarily closed the centre for a few months during the first wave of COVID-19 which was difficult for many who looked forward to attending the centre. Prior to COVID-19, we offered complimentary hot beverages, snacks, a safe place to relax and socialiaze with others in the community. These aspects of the centre are temporarily placed on hold.
Anything else you would like to say? For more information you can visit our Facebook page “Lighthouse Drop-in Centre” Cornwall or e-mail Amanda at email@example.com. We are accepting donations of gently used clothing, shoes and accessories that may be dropped off at 213 Montreal Road during our business hours: Tuesdays and Saturdays from 6:30-7:30 p.m. We greatly appreciate your support!