There is something so very special about Christmas and our children/grandchildren look forward to this Special Time of year the very most. Why shouldn’t they? After all, they get presents from Santa Claus. But there is more to Christmas than getting and giving gifts, and or decorating our homes. Our children will have Christmas Holidays and will most likely spend their time playing with their new toys, wearing their new pj’s, clothes and perhaps new shoes etc.
How about sharing with your children, and or grandchildren some awesome facts about Christmas? You can read these Christmas facts to your children/grandchildren to help them learn about this Special Festive time of the year. They can then share this new found information about Christmas time with their friends as well.
Here are but a few of the Xmas facts I have gathered:
1. The use of the term ‘Xmas’ dates back to the 16th century. The “X” in the word Xmas comes from the ancient Greek language. In Greek, Christ begins with the letter “X”. So, Xmas simply means Christmas.
2. Mistletoe is supposed to be a symbol of love, laughter, and compassion. And the tradition of a kiss under the mistletoe is supposed to a way of asking for the blessings of the spirits of Christmas through the mistletoe.
3. The origin or the use of Christmas trees goes way back to ancient Egyptians and Romans. They used evergreen trees like Fir or Pine trees, wreaths, and garlands. And the use of modern Christmas trees started in Germany in the 16th century. Instead of the glitzy decorations that we see on them today, they were decorated with candles, fruits and nuts. I bet you didn’t know this interesting fact about the Christmas tree!
4. Santa Claus initially wore clothes that were in green, purple, or blue. For many years, this was the common theme for the jolly old man at the North Pole. However, Coca Cola decided to dress him up in colours that matched their brand and that stuck. So this is why Santa is always in red clothes now!
5. Have you ever wondered why people go door to door singing carols? The tradition is based on the English custom of “Wassailing”, which was a tradition to toast to someone’s good health and fortune. St. Francis of Assisi took this tradition and converted it to the modern form of caroling.
6. The tradition of nailing Christmas stockings near a fireplace came about in order to help Santa have a place to stuff candies and goodies for bright and cheerful children of the world. It also serves as an endless supply of socks for Santa. Now there are many more facts about Xmas but you can look them up for yourselves. Ho Ho Ho Merry Christmas Everybody. A
Steal Of A Deal: This month I am choosing something a little different then per usual. It is something that I bought online for our home. It is a pair of beautiful, white and gold French doors for Johnny’s music room/our living room. They allow the sunlight to come through as well as they look absolutely AWESOME! I paid the lady.. ONLY $80.00 for them. (This is about a tenth of the price, if they were bought brand new.) Thanks to Johnny for being so handy. He was able to hang the doors by himself for an added savings. Take a look online and on facebook to see the many deals being offered for any or all of your Christmas gift giving.
Tip of The Month: WORDS are so very Powerful, and we never know what state of mind someone is in at any given time. We can “choose” our words, but, we cannot “choose the effect,” they will have on certain people. Always Speak Out Of Love. “True Power” does not crush others, but, HELPS them to see their own GREATNESS!
Family News: It will be my eldest son, Clyde’s, my 2nd eldest grandson, Sampson’s, my nephew, Micheal’s and my 2nd cousin, Ashton’s birthdays – ALL on December 5th. May you have a FABULOUSLY FUN filled time on your “Special Day” boys. I love you all and I hope that you have a wonderful New Year ahead of you. Love Always Mom/Nana/Cousin/Auntie Marlene.
Dear Santa, I just wanted to tell you that I have been a very good girl this year. I guess I could expect to get some fabulous gifts from you. But the truth is, I can’t think of a single thing that I want. I have a a wonderful, loving husband. I have a beautiful warm and comfortable home to live in… I have a loving family and many amazing friends who are always there to comfort me, when I am sad or scared, and who laugh with me when I am happy or when I need a good laugh when I am sad. I have plenty of food to eat. I have warm clothes and blankets and a comfortable bed to sleep in. I am complete in my soul with my soul mate, Johnny. I Do NOT need Anything… So please Santa, give my gifts to somebody else that deserves or wants them. Yours Truly, Marlene P.S. Please Give the GIFT of GIVING. Give of your TIME and make someone else’s Christmas a Merry one!
Fun Facts: Did you know that the movie Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs premiered at The Carthay Circle Theatre in Los Angeles, California on December 21, 1937? (WOW! That was 83 years ago.) Snow White is a 1937 American animated musical fantasy film produced by Walt Disney Productions and it was originally released by RKO Radio Pictures. Based on the 1812 German fairy tale by The Brothers Grimm, it is the first full-length cell animated feature film and the earliest Disney animated feature film. Now You Know.. If, You Didn’t Already.
Business News: Please check out the many different kittens and cats at Second Life Cat Rescue for adoption. If you, or anyone that you know would love to give a furrever home to one of Tiffany Sarault’s rescues. Please contact her on facebook. She works so very hard every week to help cats and kittens get new homes. As well as she has 2 sons and has a job to attend to. Even, if you don’t want a kitten. Could you please donate a little something towards this wonderful cause? email@example.com It would be greatly appreciated. Thank you all kindly in advance.
Until Next Year: One of the most important lessons that I am taking into 2021 is.. If I cannot do anything about it.. I Will Let It Go. I am not to be a Prisoner to the things that I CANNOT CHANGE! For all of you that are reading this please accept what is happening in your lives right now. Please put what has happened behind.. Let it all go and have Faith that wonderful things are coming your way.
MERRY CHRISTMAS & HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYONE!!! Thank you ever so much Julia and Mai-Liis for giving me the opportunity to write in this awesome magazine of yours. I truly love being one of your many contributors. Love, Positively Marlene
Marlene Lister of www.listerphotos.ca & www.fashionography.ca
Marlene Lister is a local photographer/photographer's assistant with John Lister, Along with being a fashion writer. She loves doing the things she does and loves to dress up like a lady, but act like a tennager at times. Marlene loves being different and unique. Visit her website at www.fashionography.ca.
Get notified of all our new news by ringing the bell at the bottom right corner!
The Seeker Newspaper is located at 327 Second Street E., Cornwall, ON K6H 1Y8 -- All rights reserved The Seeker does not accept responsibility for errors, misprints or inaccuracies published within. The opinions and statements of our columnists are not to be presumed as the statements and opinions of The Seeker
ISSN 2562-1750 (Print) ISSN 2562-1769 (Online)