Waste Reduction Week is October October 21 to 25. The City of Cornwall is hosting community-wide textile collection that week. Here are the details for I Give A Shirt, as well as other ways for residents to participate:
Cornwall Gives A Shirt
- Set out bags of gently used clothing, linens, and footwear on your regular collection day the week of October 21 to 25. Be sure to mark these bags with a large and clear sign marked with “Cornwall Gives A Shirt.”
- To download an “I Give A Shirt” sign, please click here.
- Volunteers will collect the bags and donate them to one of two local thrift stores: Serendipity Boutique and Agape Centre’s New For You.
- Previous years have seen residents donate more than 5,000 pounds, or 1,500 bags, of textiles. These donations divert waste from the landfill.
- Items that are defective (for instance, coats missing buttons or with broken zippers) can still be donated. These items will be hung on the Giving Tree outside Serendipity Boutique.
- Learn about where your waste goes, and how it is managed, at the City of Cornwall Landfill. This hour-long tour will be offered at 1 p.m. and 5:30 p.m. on Monday, October 21.
- To register, please click here.
- A Cornwall Transit shuttle will collect residents at 12:30 p.m. and 5:00 p.m. from the Civic Complex. Residents will be dropped off at the same location after the tour.
Survey: Organics Diversion
Plus: Waste Reduction Action Group’s Swap, Share, Repair Fair
- This event, offered by Transition Cornwall +’s Waste Reduction Action Group, will be held on Saturday, October 26 from 10:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. at the former BMO Building (159 Pitt Street)
- Stop by to swap and share unwanted games and books, learn about repairing and waste reduction, and browse second-hand pop-up shops. Plus: recycle batteries, textiles, electronics, and more.
- Want to learn more? Click here.