Farrah found this old column of mine, printed in 2002 in one of her Mom’s favourite cookbooks. She remembered going with her Mom to my store when just a little girl.She wondered if we could print the column again. It would be our pleasure and hopefully it will be of help to a new generation of cooks. You have all heard the old saying – you are never to old to learn – well truer words were never spoken. I thought the following equivalents and substitutions would come in handy for you some day. Next week I’ll have a list for you of what herbs go best in certain foods and more helpful hints. Enjoy a good week!
Tips On Measuring Ingredients
- 1 stick butter or margarine = 1/2 cup
- 1/2 stick butter or margarine = 1/4 cup
- 1 cup cream = 2 cups whipped cream
- 16 tbsp. butter = 1 cup butter
- 2 tbsp. lemon juice = 1 medium sized lemon
- 3 tsp. grated orange peel = 1 medium sized orange
- 1 cup sliced apple = 1 medium sized apple peeled and core removed
- 7/8 cup vegetable oil or shortening = 1 cup butter
- 4 to 5 cups grate cheddar cheese = 1 lb.
- 3 oz. pkg. cream cheese = 7 tbsp. cream cheese
- 3 cups cornmeal = 1 lb.
- 1 small onion chopped = 1/4 cup
- 1 large onion chopped = 1 cup
- 1 orange = 1/3 to 1/2 cup juice
- 1 lemon = 2 tbsp. juice
- 1 1/4 tsp. arrowroot = 1 tbsp. flour (for thickening)
- 1 cup graham crumbs = 9 graham wafers coarsely crumbled.
- A dash = less than 1/8 tsp., 1 shake of salt, pepper or other seasoning
- A pinch = the amount you can pick up between the tip of your thumb and index (first) finger
Ingredient Substitution and Equivalents
If you don’t have… you can use:
- 1 tbsp. cornstarch (for thickening) = 2 tbsp. all purpose flour.
- 1 tsp. baking powder = 1/2 tsp. cream of tartar plus 1/2 tsp. baking soda.
- 1 pkg. active dry yeast ( 1 tbsp. bulk yeast) = 1 cake compressed yeast.
- 1 cup granulated sugar = 1 cup packed brown sugar; or 2 cups sifted icing sugar.
- 1 cup honey = 1 1/4 cup granulated sugar plus 1/4 cup liquid.
- 1 cup corn syrup = 1 cup granulated sugar plus 1/4 cup liquid.
- 1 square (1 oz.) unsweetened chocolate = 3tbsp. unsweetened coacoa plus 1 tbsp. butter or margarine.
- 1 cup whipping cream whipped = 2 cups whipped dessert topping.
- 1 cup butter milk or soured milk = 1 tbsp. lemon juice or vinegar plus enough whole milk to make 1 cup.Allow to stand for 5 minutes; or 1 cup whole milk plus 1 3/4 tsp. cream of tartar or 1 cup plain yogurt.
- 1 cup whole milk = 1/2 cup evaporated milk plus 1/2 cup water; or 1 cup reconstituted non fat dry milk plus 2 tsp. butter or margarine.
- Sweet milk and baking powder = equal amount sour milk plus 1/2 tsp. baking soda per cup (each 1/2 tsp. soda with 1 cup sour milk takes the place of 2 tsp. baking powder and 1 cup of sweet milk.
- 1 cup light cream = 1 cup minus 2 tbsp. milk plus 2 tbsp. butter.
- 2 cups tomato sauce = 3/4 cup tomato paste plus 1 cup water.
- 1 cup tomato juice = 1/2 cup tomato sauce plus 1/2 cup water.
- 1 cup ketchup or chilli sauce = 1 cup tomato sauce plus 1/2 cup sugar and 2 tbsp. vinegar (this is to be used only in cooking mixtures).
- 1 cup broth = 1 tsp. instant boullion granules dissolve in 1 cup water.
- 1 garlic clove = 1/8 tsp. garlic powder or minced dried garlic.
- 1 small onion = 1 tsp. onion powder 1 tbsp. minced dried onion.
- 1 tsp. dry mustard = 1 tbsp. prepared mustard.
- 1 tsp. very finely grated lemon zest = 1/2 tsp. lemon extract.
- 1 tbsp. fresh snipped herbs = 1 to 1 1/2 tsp. dried herbs.
- 1 cup sour cream = 1 tbsp. lemon juice plus evaporated milk to make 1 cup.
- 1 1/2 tsp. grated lemon zest = 1 medium sized lemon.
- 1 cup butter or margarine = 7/8 cup lard with 1/2 tsp. salt.
- 1 tbsp. flour for thickening = 1/2 tbsp. cornstarch ; or potato starch; or arrowroot starch; or rice starch.
- 1 cup cake flour = 7/8 cups all purpose flour.
- 1 cup all purpose flour for baking = 1/2 cup bran or whole wheat flour plus enough all purpose flour to fill the cup.
- 1 whole egg = 2 egg yolks plus 1 tbsp. water; or 2 tbsp. dried whole egg plus 2 1/2 tbsp. water.
SHARYN THOMPSON, Owner of SHARYN’S PANTRY – a family-run business for 35 years.
812 Pitt St, Unit 6, Cornwall, Ont 613-936-1998 OPEN: Monday to Saturday – 9 to 5