Medical devices are inventions that science and technology have made available for the use of mankind, for improving one’s health and general well-being. These devices are used in providing health care, diagnosing ailments and treating patients.
There are so many of these devices today that people tend to get overwhelmed by the surplus of choices. Lucky for us, the team behind https://cpoe.org/ has gone ahead and tested out some of the best medical devices in the market, giving us one less thing to worry about. Choosing the right medical device to treat or prevent a major health problem is very important and in some cases, can be life altering. Therefore, taking the time to do a bit of research regarding the device you need should be the first thing you do.
Medical devices can be categorized under two major forms and they are:
- The hardware: These are the ones that are handled physically by practitioners or users.
- The software: This on the other hand is not physically handled, but can be accessed with the use of technology, i.e., computers. This category is majorly used for diagnostic and analytic purposes.
The use of these devices has gone beyond the four walls of a hospital or any other health care facilities and structures. It has become a daily necessity for anyone who desires a healthy life.
Here are some very important reasons you should engage the use of a medical device both at home and in hospitals;
- It helps diagnose and treat patients: Unlike the traditional way of diagnosing patients with different kinds of diseases which sometimes takes an unnecessarily long process, during the time which the ailment might have taken a downturn for worse; the use of medical devices helps detect or diagnose different ailment quickly so that treatment can begin immediately.
Using medical devices also helps treat patients quickly and effectively.
An example of this is the capsule endoscopy. It is a connected vitamin sized pill with a tiny camera which is to be swallowed by the patient. The camera takes infinitive pictures of the digestive system which is then reviewed by doctors to detect any life threatening disease like colon cancer.
Inventions like this one gives patients choices as to how they would love to be diagnosed and its somewhat make the doctor’s work easier, then more effective.
- To aid the supervising of some chronic diseases: Patients might be made to wear some of these devices away from the hospital but will still be under surveillance of his or her doctor. This is especially for those who don’t have people around, this type of device will alert the nearest medical facility about the condition of the patient when there is an emergency.
This is most useful for patients with respiratory conditions or heart disease. They can be fitted with a connected pacemaker that alerts the hospital when there is a cardiac problem. This device has the capacity to save lives and free up spaces in the hospital as patients who can be remotely monitored are discharged.
- Medical kit saves lives: Possessing things like first aid, thermometer, sugar level checker, etc., has the capacity to help control situations that could have worsened before getting to a hospital. These devices can also help to manage emergency situations.
A thermometer helps to monitor and control spikes in the body’s temperature and glucose meter helps to check and control sugar level.
Other examples of this are; Inhalers, Hearing aid, Nonin pulse oximeter, blood pressure meter, etc.
- Aids for persons with disabilities: All around us, we have people with different disabilities and sometimes wish we could be there to attend to their every need, but the truth is as good as that sounds, it is almost impossible. Research has shown that people with disabilities have a higher tendency to go into depression, mostly because of their inability to do things others could do. Medical devices improve some of these disabilities.
The wheel chair for an example helps those whose mobility has become incapacitated to become mobile.
- For fertility and birth control: This has been made available for both male and females alike. There are devices that can be worn by humans to either facilitate conception or hinder it. Some improve a person’s chance of conceiving.
- For life Support: This is mostly recognized as life support. Technology has provided some devices that are a life support system to its user. This is peculiar or useful for those with a terminal disease or in a coma. Life support devices include medical ventilators, incubators, etc.
In conclusion, there is no limit to the advantages of using a medical device. However, before going out and buying one, make sure you look into the device to know exactly what they are used for and how it will benefit you, healthwise. Medical devices are one of the most important advancements in the medical field which has helped save millions of lives.